Author
Post subject: Re: How to use Torq with Ableton in External Control Mode
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:58 am

Have thanks: 0 time
Hi everyone,

I've just finished setting everything up and all works great except for Ableton won't see the signal coming from normal vinyl when i use the rotary dials on Conectiv, going from 'USB' to 'Input' (I've also tried using the 'line' icon on Torq, mixer section, and still no joy)

Is this set up for digital files only?? i'd like Ableton to record normal vinyl too in my set, am i missing something here? is this set-up able to do this? If it isn't does anyone have another solution, hardware/software configuration?

Thanks in advance,

monph

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:18 am

Have thanks: 154 times
You need to leave the Conectiv on the "USB" setting and instead use the line-in buttons in Torq.

Just make sure that you have inputs selected under "line-in" in Torq preferences...

Not an Avid/M-Audio employee, so please don't PM me for support (post on the forum instead, so others can learn too - thanks!).
Xponent/Trigger Finger + Win7 x64/Torq 1.5.2/Live Lite 8.2/ProTools MP 8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:38 am

Ed you're a genius!!

I tried that earlier but all I got was a distorted jumping signal from that deck, it seemed like the normal vinyl was trying to play the digital file. Also after playing around and when clicking on the 'Line' icon all i could hear was time-code.

All working perfect now, I think it was to do with the fact i still had a track loaded in Torq that was effecting the output so i used the 'shift' + 'F1' trick to unload the track, maybe that and the full reset helpedl!?

Thanks again bro, and for your speedy response, time to go and record a set!!......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:07 am

monph wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've just finished setting everything up and all works great except for Ableton won't see the signal coming from normal vinyl when i use the rotary dials on Conectiv, going from 'USB' to 'Input' (I've also tried using the 'line' icon on Torq, mixer section, and still no joy)

Is this set up for digital files only?? i'd like Ableton to record normal vinyl too in my set, am i missing something here? is this set-up able to do this? If it isn't does anyone have another solution, hardware/software configuration?

Thanks in advance,

monph

Are you using Jack and whatnot for all this or are you using 1.5 external control, sending beat clock to ableton etc?

"Welcome to the Boards! Make sure you have 30 years of DJ'ing experience, and you wrote your first program in BASIC on the commodore 64 before you ask one of these cool Torq guys anymore questions. "-JonnyJams

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:25 am

Im using Jack, i followed the instructions to the letter and all works fine now. Im using Torq 1.5 in external mode but no beat clock needed for ableton for my set up, im just interested in the audio side, i may use midi at a later date.

Are you having problems with getting it working?

monph

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:57 am

Basically, I don't want to pay for 1.5 until someone is able to control ableton's tempo via midi beatclock from Torq while Torq is in external mode.....

I haven't found a definitive example of someone who has done it yet.....surprising.

"Welcome to the Boards! Make sure you have 30 years of DJ'ing experience, and you wrote your first program in BASIC on the commodore 64 before you ask one of these cool Torq guys anymore questions. "-JonnyJams

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:25 pm

aah ok, unfortunately i can't help you there, im a bit of a novice with torq/ableton at the mo. Maybe someone on here will be able to help you out.

If i work anything out i'll let you know for sure,

Good luck,

monph

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:54 pm

HI GUYS...

going back to the original artical by travis for mac the torq-ableton-external.jks file dose not seem to be present any external links to this file? as in need of it to finish the patch between ableton and torq and if the text is to be used (that the current link) how is it applied

many thanks.

Post subject: Great stuff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:09 am

Well, I think routing Torq audio into Ableton, with external control on, is indeed great stuff.
Studio work would benefit most of this setup as one can record directly torq scratches into ableton, without getting an analogue signal out of the Conectiv and then back to digital through some other sound card. Brilliant, lower latency and no quality loss through DA and back AD conversations!! I think these are the great advantages. This is something SERATO users cannot do at the moment and that makes Torq quite special !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:46 am

Anyone fancy writing up/ pointing me to a full explanation on how to setup jackdmp and subsequently torq and ableton in windows?! Im completely puzzled as to how to do it!!

Thanks in advance

Operating System: XP SP3 (Slimline)\ Partition with Vista installed for torq
4GB RAM (Limited to 3GB due to 32-bit)
NVIDIA 9650M GT 1GB Video RAM
250GB Hard Drive
2 x CDJ1000
1 x DDM-4000
1x Connectiv
Torq v1.5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:35 pm

Have thanks: 2 times
Since most are still having problems installing and using jack for PC. I'd thought i would help people out by giving a step by step set of instruction on how to set the whole thing up.

1. First if your using jackdmp 0.68 - jackdmp0.71 then discard the old version because there are more steps involved in using the older applications.
  2. Download Jack2 for Windows herehttp://www.grame.fr/~letz/jack-1.9.0.tgz.
  3. The file is compressed in a .tgz format which is used a lot in Linux but winzip can also extract this file format so dont worry about that.
  4. Extract the files to your Desktop
  5. Once extracted you will find a jack-1.9.0 folder.
  6. Inside that folder you will see a folder named bin click on that.
  7. Inside that folder you will see a folder named windows click on that and there you will find the Jack_v1.9.0_setup.exe.
  8. Click on exe to install.
  9. Once installed click on your start button go to all programs and there should be the newly installed jack app folder.
  10. The Folder holds 5 icons Jack Command, Jack Control, Jack NetDriver, Jack Portaudio, and uninstall.
  11. Click on Jack Portaudio to start the driver and server.
  12. While the Jack Portaudio is running click on Jack Control for your configurations.
  13. Jack Control has a setup button for configurations click on this.
  14. Once open the only settings you should change should be under the Settings tab and those settings are
    Code:
    Driver:portaudio
    Interface: ASIO::M-Audio USB ASIO
    Input Device: ASIO::M-Audio USB ASIO
    Output Device: ASIO::M-Audio USB ASIO
    Input Channels: 4
    Output Channels: 4
    Sample Rate: 44100 or 48000
    Frames/Period: 128 through 1024
  15. Save your settings then close Jack Control then Reopen Jack Control.
  16. Now open torq, or the audio app of your choice.
  17. Under the pref of torq select JackRouter where you would select the Audio Interface.
  18. Now in Jack Control click on the connect button you should see torq listed with 4 outs on the output side and 4 ins in the input side.
  19. Here is where you can connect the outputs to the inputs of your choice you can do this by draging and dropping your ins and outs for connections.
  20. If you want to connect to Ableton you can still use the same instructions from the beginning of Ableton External Control Mode post.

"Now there's Loyalty and then there's Stupidity, forget going down with the ship, Stability is the one I pick."
Last edited by Ed on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Added BBcode for numbered list etc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:30 am

Have thanks: 154 times
Nice post nanofox - lots of people here will appreciate it! :)

Not an Avid/M-Audio employee, so please don't PM me for support (post on the forum instead, so others can learn too - thanks!).
Xponent/Trigger Finger + Win7 x64/Torq 1.5.2/Live Lite 8.2/ProTools MP 8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:51 am

nanofox wrote:
Since most are still having problems installing and using jack for PC. I'd thought i would help people out by giving a step by step set of instruction on how to set the whole thing up.

1. First if your using jackdmp 0.68 - jackdmp0.71 then discard the old version because there are more steps involved in using the older applications.
  2. Download Jack2 for Windows herehttp://www.grame.fr/~letz/jack-1.9.0.tgz.
  3. The file is compressed in a .tgz format which is used a lot in Linux but winzip can also extract this file format so dont worry about that.
  4. Extract the files to your Desktop
  5. Once extracted you will find a jack-1.9.0 folder.
  6. Inside that folder you will see a folder named bin click on that.
  7. Inside that folder you will see a folder named windows click on that and there you will find the Jack_v1.9.0_setup.exe.
  8. Click on exe to install.
  9. Once installed click on your start button go to all programs and there should be the newly installed jack app folder.
  10. The Folder holds 5 icons Jack Command, Jack Control, Jack NetDriver, Jack Portaudio, and uninstall.
  11. Click on Jack Portaudio to start the driver and server.
  12. While the Jack Portaudio is running click on Jack Control for your configurations.
  13. Jack Control has a setup button for configurations click on this.
  14. Once open the only settings you should change should be under the Settings tab and those settings are
    Code:
    Driver:portaudio
    Interface: ASIO::M-Audio USB ASIO
    Input Device: ASIO::M-Audio USB ASIO
    Output Device: ASIO::M-Audio USB ASIO
    Input Channels: 4
    Output Channels: 4
    Sample Rate: 44100 or 48000
    Frames/Period: 128 through 1024
  15. Save your settings then close Jack Control then Reopen Jack Control.
  16. Now open torq, or the audio app of your choice.
  17. Under the pref of torq select JackRouter where you would select the Audio Interface.
  18. Now in Jack Control click on the connect button you should see torq listed with 4 outs on the output side and 4 ins in the input side.
  19. Here is where you can connect the outputs to the inputs of your choice you can do this by draging and dropping your ins and outs for connections.
  20. If you want to connect to Ableton you can still use the same instructions from the beginning of Ableton External Control Mode post.

nice work!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:40 am

Exactly what was needed! Unfortunatley im getting an error with the file. When extracting it in vista i get errors that some of the files couldnt be extracted. Error with the file or me being stupid?

Operating System: XP SP3 (Slimline)\ Partition with Vista installed for torq
4GB RAM (Limited to 3GB due to 32-bit)
NVIDIA 9650M GT 1GB Video RAM
250GB Hard Drive
2 x CDJ1000
1 x DDM-4000
1x Connectiv
Torq v1.5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:21 pm

Have thanks: 2 times
Thanks for the thumbs up Ed and Syrix! If you receive a error during the extraction on winzip dont worry about it and continue to follow the instructions. The reason why you receive the error is because your using winzip which can extract .tgz (tarball) files but sometimes has problems with the file headers. The files still work and i know this because i've used Jack on Linux and Windows. This also contains Mac files for OSX_32bit and OSX_64bit users. Oh before i forget after you extract the file check out the first Readme file which has info for vista users it states that "[VISTA special note: regsvr32 has to be used with "administrator" priviledges to properly register JackRouter.dll (Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right Click on Command Prompt -> Run As Administrator)]. A JackRouter.ini file is used by the driver to read parameters : an [IO] section allows to setup the number of input/output jack ports for the application and a [AUTO_CONNECT] section allows to setup jack ports autoconnection mode to machine input/output."

"Now there's Loyalty and then there's Stupidity, forget going down with the ship, Stability is the one I pick."

Jump to: