Author
Post subject: Re: Conectiv Power Spike Issues - Information gathering...
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 04:19

Have thanks: 0 time
since you can replicate issue (I can't) : can you check if it trips out even if there is nothing connected to it? like external mixer or players?

You have enemies ? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Torq 1.5.2 (Cracked but paid before) + TC Electronics Konnekt Live Sound Card + External mixer + 2x Stanton T92 Turntables

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 09:18

DARKMAN wrote:
since you can replicate issue (I can't) : can you check if it trips out even if there is nothing connected to it? like external mixer or players?

As far as I remember all I had connected was my headphones to test the sound. The sound stopped but Torq was still fully functioning. Restarting Torq wouldn't help unless I unplugged and reconnected the Connectiv USB beforehand (although I haven't tried switching ASIO drivers as I read about in an unrelated thread).

I'll do a few tests just now once I've had supper - this time I have a second laptop I can test.

Macbook Pro 2.1
Core 2 Duo 2.166GHz
3GB RAM

Torq 2.0.3
Connectiv and Trigger Finger under internal control

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 10:53

So I did a bit of experimenting...

My issue is clearly related to my father's Acer Aspire's power-handling. The sound only trips when the power supply is plugged in - no relation to RCA's in my case. Giving the Connectiv it's own power only makes it trip say... every fourth time rather than every second, so it's still not worth me gigging with.

My trusty Dell (referred to in signature), which I'd stopped using because of the high-pitched noise it outputs when I run it into a mixer, was completely solid no matter how many things I unplugged at once.

It's nice to know, seeing as I'd borrowed my dad's laptop specifically to play in professional venues where I'd have to run into a mixer, but it's almost entirely useless at these venues. The Dell has never tripped on me, but it never came in contact with lights or fog machines, so I'd never thought of testing it until now.

What puzzles me now is that one time the Acer's sound tripped at a gig and I was lectured because it wasn't plugged in... Weird!

Macbook Pro 2.1
Core 2 Duo 2.166GHz
3GB RAM

Torq 2.0.3
Connectiv and Trigger Finger under internal control

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2009, 06:59

That's strange.. I think I didn't have same issue.. I tried bringing UPS (APC) on my gig to clean out power... didn't help... adapter also didn't help.. custom cables.. added boxes to cables and everything - nothing. You could possibly solve your problem with some power cleaning stuff like UPS.

You have enemies ? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Torq 1.5.2 (Cracked but paid before) + TC Electronics Konnekt Live Sound Card + External mixer + 2x Stanton T92 Turntables

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 09:07

i seem to be having similar results, running two cdj800mk2's through a djm800, last night my audio stopped twice, torq didn't lock and the track was still playing i just had no sound, had to close and re open the program, which seamed to work both times but totally threw me for a loop as i play in this venue twice a week and its never done this to me. The booth has a 60 amp sub panel in it which as far as i know is properly grounded.

as far as voltage the only thing that changed in the booth last night was we had a heater in there, but it ran the whole time and wasn't starting and stopping. The last time it stooped i just walked into the booth and didnt even touch anything and it quit, was really embarrassing as the only cd floating around was grove station 5 :| thank god for Chris Sheppard, lol.

Gear
Dell inspiron 1525
2ghz dual core
2g Ram

pioneer cdj800mk2, djm800

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 04:11

I have noticed, when using an external mixer (Happened on 2 different mixers), sound stops when I plug in the headphones. happened a few times, not sure if it is a kind of short circuit that cause music sound to stop (Although software is working).

Not sure it can be resolved
Cal

Acer Aspire one AOA150
CPU N270 1.6GHz
RAM 1 GB
HD 160GB
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 2002 Service Pack 3

HP Pavilion DV6000
CPU Intel Core Duo T2350 1.8GHz
RAM 1GB
HD 120GB
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 14:32

Hi, im from Poland and i have the same problem. i dont know what to do. i was trying to contact my dealer but he said that he cant help me. Why m-audio makes equip if its not working weel. it terrible. i was looking on posts in my country about torq before bought it but i have didnt find any bad posts. Is it happening to every one user?
Joshua

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 12:17

Yup... and it's (atleast here) confirmed that spike does in fact came from !outputs! of device

PostPosted: 01 May 2010, 01:50

I love Torq, but the headphones problems scares me, does anyone knows if this has been resolved yet.

Thanks
CAL

Acer Aspire one AOA150
CPU N270 1.6GHz
RAM 1 GB
HD 160GB
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 2002 Service Pack 3

HP Pavilion DV6000
CPU Intel Core Duo T2350 1.8GHz
RAM 1GB
HD 120GB
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 11:22

Conectiv is shocked trough the chinch cabel, that is 100% , and the reason is that mixer is not in good condition... i was playing last week on pioneer 600 and have spike issues, the resident dj in that club told me that someone has slop drink on it. Mixer was on service and sound is fine but there is obviously problem with some strange voltage inside which is coming out trough the chinch. last night I was playing at the same club but there was another mixer and everything was fine!
And I think that pioneer is not earthed.

PostPosted: 23 May 2010, 11:35

TLDR; Power fluxes (mains->laptop->USB) kill my connectiv audio output, not happy never have been.

Before I start reeling off information and filling out MusicMeister's helpful form regarding this issue, let me just say this will be a long post as I have a lot to vent. Connectiv/Torq has never worked smoothly for me but I am extremely glad I've found this thread (don't know how I missed it before on these forums.) Power fluctuations via usb knocking over Connectiv seem to be exactly what has happened to me in the past on stage where el-cheapo power strips are used or the phase is overloaded/not earthed correctly etc etc, and this is exactly what happened to me performing a set last night.

Just to recap what happened last night, I was performing (I DJ) with an emcee friend using the same setup as we have done so many times before over the past ~4 years I have owned Connectiv/Torq. Basically, I drop the beats and do back-up vocals/scratching where needed and my friend raps. 3/4 of the way through our set audio cut out of torq, sound tech/club owner ran over and spoke to me quickly while my emcee continued the track acapella so nobody seemed to care (there was a large audience so naturally I started to feel embarrased at this point.) Couldn't see anything obvious, all power lights are on, nothing was on fire, my laptop (Core-duo running Win7) had not crashed or rebooted, Torq still up on the screen in sync with my torq vinyl (new) running away happily just no audio output. Song finished, everyone cheered, I unplugged my connectiv, re-plugged and rebooted torq, level comes back and I started cutting in the next track.

So we get through another track and a half, cuts out again, same procedure although this time I upped my sample rate from 256 to 512 just in case. Gets through the intro of the track then cuts out again, the emcee gives up and bids goodnight, I drop to the floor behind the dj booth and sulk. This isn't the first time it has happened, although I may attribute my early failures to my inexperience with digital vinyl setups. Now I have used just about all of them, so just when I think I have my system down-pat and bug free a problem rears it's ugly head again. Guess it's my fault for putting faith into something I know is so tentative and not having a plan-B to roll with "just in case."

The club in particular had a seperate 30amp phase running to the stage just for dj/pa equipment and had been recently checked as it was a new venue. I discussed the issue with the club owner after everyone had cleared out at the end of the night and pointed out it was more than likely the cheapo power strips. He also had some unnecessary spotlights sitting at the back of the stage chewing on the power, as well as the dj fold and FOH pa (a nexo system from memory.) My emcee mate said he felt static on his lips coming off the mic or something to that extent, though I didn't notice anything on mine. To be honest, I'm not sure where the mic's were getting their P48 from, the stage or the mixing desk (which was apparently on a different phase.) I had my torq setup working at home for 3 hours straight the day prior like clockwork, the turntables in the club are the same that I use at home (technics 1200's) and I brought along my own needles (sure m44-7) so it could not have been those. Like I said before my torq vinyl is new so I don't think it was a control signal problem. My setup was originally bought as a part of ms pinky so I wore those records out first then switched to the fresh torq vinyl which came free with the package.

To further reinforce my theory of the clubs power circuit fluctuating, the headline act who came on after me running ableton from a macbook had the sound drop out on him for a few seconds too, making me think the system was momentarily overloaded, or the mixer had cut out etc. Seeming as he wasn't using external power to his laptop (from memory) it would not have affected his system directly, yet the pa was still affected. Another previous act who was dj'ing using serato had no problems running from a windows based laptop, from battery and not mains.

Basically when all is said and done I have convinced myself this current problem is a power issue. This means my connectiv box is inferior to any other external digital dj interface on the market - if a brief power flux is going to wreck my performance while other interfaces keep on ticking away. What am I going to do about this next weekend when I perform my own set, exclusively from the laptop? I can't cut my own tracks to vinyl as I don't have a vinyl cutter handy, I'm a turntablist at heart who doesn't use cdj's mainly because they do not offer me the control I need, so I rely heavily on my laptop and my torq setup to work. What if this problem happens again? Do I take my own power strips? Do I replace all rca cables and usb cable on my box just in case? Do I try and stretch my laptop out on battery power for the entire set?

I need a strategy, or I need to purchase my own Serato setup. Something that isn't going to fail.

Sorry for posting so much but I've been extremely frustrated and I the only way I know how to write is well... a lot.

1. Date you bought Torq and the Conectiv.

Roughly mid 2006?

2. Where you bought Torq/Conectiv.

http://www.mspinky.com I found the idea of being able to cut up video novel, although I never got my head around their custom software so stuck with torq.

3. Make and Manufacturer of computer you're using - if you're using more than one, list them.

Samsung R710; specs HERE - Purchased this in the UK although I am from and currently residing in Australia. I had to purchase a new 3 pin clover leaf mains cable to stick in the transformer as we don't use the same pin configs of course.

4. Operating System used on each laptop.

Windows 7 Ultimate. 32bit.

5. Outline your setup - particularly the power side of things. Are you plugging into a cheap power strip, a rack mount strip, the wall, etc.

The gig I described above where my last problem occured, had 2 el-cheapo no-name brand 4 outlet power strips stuck up on the dj booth. I could not see if they were chained from anywhere else or running from their own dedicated sockets. My laptop was plugged into one of these, sharing with 2x cdj's, 2x technics 1200's, a rane empath mixer (with the odd rotary volume faders) and a bunch of odd rope lights which were running around the edge of the booth. A recipe for disaster really, but I had no other option at the time and no other act had the same problem as I did with their laptops. nb; I will be going back to the venue to help the club owner sort out a proper booth situation.

At home I use quality Jackson power strips, designed for workshops/industrial situations, with rmi/efi filtering and of course surge protection. Never had any problems with them.

6. Anything you've tried to fix it.

My last problem does not seem fixable if the connectiv box trips out due to a power flux, unless I carry along my own power strips from home which may provide a cleaner power, although I'm not sure if this is going to work. My next set I plan on running from battery as long as I can before plugging in mains and hoping for the best.

7. Other equipment in your set up - for example, Tech 1200 MKII's, CDJ 800's, Numark 1002 MKIII mixer, etc.

I use a Korg padKONTROL to manipulate Torq, although I did not have this at my last gig, and at home it has never caused any issues. At home I use a Denon DN-X300 mixer.

8. If you've tested the outlet for cross wiring/lifted ground/etc.

Will confirm this when I go back to the club to have a look.

9. If you use a power strip with a voltage readout do you see any large fluctuations when the fog machine comes on? Same for current if you have that readout as well.

I have not tested the voltage output of the sockets I use to power my laptop, but when I go back to the club I may, at my house I don't believe there are any faults. The particular club I was in did not have a fog machine on stage, but did have the spotlights I mentioned. Will look into it.

1. You've tried using an external power adapter for conectiv and if you still have a problem.

Don't own one, but will purchase one in case. Makes good sense to me, but it's cumbersome having to plug in another appliance for my DJ setup.

2. You've tried using a ground lift device like the EbTech HumX on your computer and still have the problem.

No.

3. You unhook all the signal cables from the Conectiv if you still have the problem.

When I go back to the club I will try different cables and try one deck at a time.

4. If you hook up the PA side of things but not external control if you still have the problem.

I have never had a problem with the internal mixer. In the past when I have had control signal issues with busted needles or otherwise, I have switched to internal mixer without faults.

5. If you hook up external control but not the PA system if you still have the problem.

I always headphone cue the output before sending it to the pa, have never noticed any problems cue'ing out of the connectiv box or dj mixer I have been using.

Once again, sorry for writing so much sh*t! It's the only way I know how. That and it's good to vent :wink:

PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 13:24
Moderator (Non-Employee)

Have thanks: 139 times
Just to let eveyone know, we're trying to collect more information to nail down the specifics...

1. The problem is FAR more common on 220V systems than 110V. In other words, this could be part of why I haven't had this issue and others have.

2. The problem does appear to be some sort of power transient over USB, though I can't swear to it.

3. There was a post made a while back that isn't avilable on the 'net' any more that used capacitors on the USB cable to resolve this issue. They used a pair of 2.2uf caps but that's all I know. If I had to guess, they put them across the GND/+5V lines on the USB cable. This would effectively act as a filter to avoid power 'drops' and 'AC' on the DC line.

If someone tries this and has any luck let everyone know. And no, I don't know what sort of caps they used. But if you're an 'experimenter' and want to try a few things - give it a shot...

Remember, the problem is that a lot of people with technical 'know-how' aren't having the problem so we can't troubleshoot it. I've tried to duplicate the results without any luck at all... Doesn't mean there isn't a problem, just that I don't have it.

SL1200MKII/CD-DJ1x4/Trigger Finger/X-Session Pro/Xponentx2/MD-P1/MidiSport Uno/Conectivx2/Torq
http://www.FirstDayEntertainment.com
Wedding DJ and Master of Ceremonies serving Pensacola, Florida.

PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 13:36
Moderator (Non-Employee)

Have thanks: 290 times
MusicMeister wrote:
3. There was a post made a while back that isn't avilable on the 'net' any more that used capacitors on the USB cable to resolve this issue. They used a pair of 2.2uf caps but that's all I know. If I had to guess, they put them across the GND/+5V lines on the USB cable. This would effectively act as a filter to avoid power 'drops' and 'AC' on the DC line.

Just found it:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7245

The downloadable guide mentioned in that thread can be found on a mirror here: (thanks to sickman2o0o)
http://higherbeats.hi.ohost.de/torq/slam/

An alternative solution is also listed here: (it is for the Fast Track Pro but might be relevant)
http://tos.network.in.rs/pages/posts/m- ... oblem6.php

I don't work for Avid, so please don't PM me for support.
Before you post, please read getting started with Torq 2.0, the Torq 2.0 FAQ and also make sure you follow the issue reporting format.

PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 22:02
Moderator (Non-Employee)

Have thanks: 139 times
This appears to be a simliar but slightly 'adjusted' solution since they're using a different size cap - and the fix is internal to the Xponent instead of in the USB cable (like the other was, IIRC).

But either way, if you're having this issue, and have nothing to loose, it might be worth giving it a shot. I have to add that the soldering job they did is pretty bad in the pictures.

http://higherbeats.hi.ohost.de/torq/slam/

SL1200MKII/CD-DJ1x4/Trigger Finger/X-Session Pro/Xponentx2/MD-P1/MidiSport Uno/Conectivx2/Torq
http://www.FirstDayEntertainment.com
Wedding DJ and Master of Ceremonies serving Pensacola, Florida.

PostPosted: 30 May 2010, 23:13

Have thanks: 10 times
oh, lol...
my link is still online ;-)

yeah the pix and tzhe soldering is crap...
these are not the pix from my soldering job ;-)

i also use a second soldering in...
but i will have a look later.... ( i ca not remeber right now, what else i did ;-)

PostPosted: 30 May 2010, 23:16

aaah, it is also still on the server ;-)
check my pix here....
http://higherbeats.hi.ohost.de/torq/alan/

an what did i do there?
this:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7245

I have both solutions in ONE conectiv!!!

I use ferrites on every cable also!!!

PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 00:30

DARKMAN wrote:
That's really helpful information!
Thank you.!

At least I found out I don't need to buy serato.... which I don't personally like.. it's much too simple.
I'm excellent cracker and I bet I could make Torq software start without conectiv plugged in.

that would be interesting!!!!
i think my (bought and payd) conectiv is quite a big dongle!

PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 00:33

paniago wrote:
Almost 1 year without visiting this forum and the same problem and no M-Audio response.

I work for the Brazilian Dealer of M-Audio, and we found and fixed this issue in march of 2008. We've sent the solution to them and they never said a word about, so we changed all the conectivs hardwares that we bought from them and who bought before this date, we fix without costs if it was bought from our dealers - almost a recall, that we assumed all the costs.
It's a simple hardware change, that prevent from power spikes.

So Brasil, is the unique place on world that you can buy this hardware and don't worry about this.. and they threat us like 3rd world! Shame!

so please share you info in detail ;-)
do you have 110v over there? or 220?

PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 00:34

DARKMAN wrote:
That's really helpful information!
Thank you.!

At least I found out I don't need to buy serato.... which I don't personally like.. it's much too simple.
I'm excellent cracker and I bet I could make Torq software start without conectiv plugged in.

that would be interesting!!!!
i think my (bought and payd) conectiv is quite a big dongle!

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2010, 06:40

Date purchased:
July 2008

Where bought:
DMC Records, Victoria, Australia

Computer Information:
Make:
Toshiba

Model:
Tecra A9

Processor:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1 Ghz

Ram:
3GB

Operating System:
Windows XP 2005 SP3

Setup:
Control:
External

Control Device:
Technics 1200 / Numark T200

Conectiv/Sound Connections:
Conectiv plugged directly into computer
Technics / Numarks plugged into conectiv
Conectiv plugged into Pioneer DJM600 / DJM800 / Numark DXM 06

Power Connections:
Everything plugged into power strip, which is plugged into wall

Attempts to fix:
1. Moved computer to another outlet but most club/bars would generally run off same socket outlets which operate same fuse.
2. Tried using Ground Loop Isolators on Inputs/Outputs.

Wiring at Venue tested:
Correctly wired

Voltage/Current Fluctuations:
No noticable fluctuations/No readout

If you could also post if:
1. You've tried using an external power adapter for conectiv and if you still have a problem.
Haven't tried yet.

2. You've tried using a ground lift device like the EbTech HumX on your computer and still have the problem.
No.

3. You unhook all the signal cables from the Conectiv if you still have the problem.
Yes.

4. If you hook up the PA side of things but not external control if you still have the problem.
Yes.

5. If you hook up external control but not the PA system if you still have the problem.
Yes.

Any other information:
Seems like power spike is a Torq safety measure which cuts out sound and scrambles signals.

Incidents:
- Had Torq system operating on laptop battery but once battery indicator on laptop displayed low, plugged in power and sound cut out mid set which was embarassing
- Monitor/foldback speaker was switched off to be re-located and lost all signals
- Unable to switch off turntable in external control for manual slow wind effect as spike also occurs
- Tried and tested with turning on and off individual units (eg. 1 turntable/mixer/stereo etc) even in controlled home environment and spike still occurs

Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz 2gb ram 160gb win xp

djnouky.blogspot.com

Search for:

Jump to: