Author
Post subject: [Resolved] Listening to Metronome crashes version 2.0
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2011, 14:21

Have thanks: 0 time
When I invoke the program, then click on the headphone icon next to the metronome display, two or three beats will be heard and then the program crashes. Every single time. Anyone else having this problem?

Post subject: Re: Listening to Metronome crashes version 2.0, every time.
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2011, 14:26
Moderator (Non-Employee)

Have thanks: 290 times
More info needed, please can you use the format here:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18446

Thanks! :-)

I don't work for Avid, so please don't PM me for support.
Before you post, please read getting started with Torq 2.0, the Torq 2.0 FAQ and also make sure you follow the issue reporting format.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2011, 13:14

# Summary of the problem...
-> Whenever I click on the headphone icon next to the metronome to hear the metronome, the metronome continues for 2-3 beats then the program suffers a Windows crash and states it should be closed. The Windows dialog box states "Torq has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." When I click the "Close Program" button, the Windows dialog goes away, but nothing else happens. I'm returned to Torq, but nothing will play. When I try to close the program, a Torq window appears saying the program is closing and asking me to be patient, but the program will not close, no matter how long I wait for it to close, unless I perform a process shutdown using the Windows task manager. (I have waited up to an hour for the program to close, just to see what would happen.)

# How do you get it to happen? (Step by step numbered list please - really detailed, like we've never used Torq before!)

1) Start Torq
2) Click on headphone icon next to metronome.

# What is the result & what did you expect to happen instead? (Screenshots/audio recordings/videos are great to include in this bit!) NB: If Torq crashed, please include the crashlog details provided by your OS.
-> I expected to hear the metronome in my headphones. Instead, the metronome continues for 2-3 beats then the program suffers a Windows crash and states it should be closed. The Windows dialog box states "Torq has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." When I click the "Close Program" button, the Windows dialog goes away, but nothing else happens. I'm returned to Torq, but nothing will play. When I try to close the program, a window appears telling me to be patient, but the program will not close, no matter how long I wait for it to close, unless I perform a process shutdown using the Windows task manager.

# Does this happen every time?
-> Yes, every time.

# What version of Torq are you using? Please post the full version number shown after pressing the question mark top right of the Torq window.
-> 2.0.0.13994

# What operating system are you using and what version?
-> Windows Vista 64-bit service pack 2

# What are the specs of your computer? (eg: Make/model, CPU speed, amount of RAM)
-> Toshiba laptop, AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 2.10 Ghz, 4 GB ram

# What soundcard/MIDI/controller hardware are you using with Torq?
-> Xponent

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2011, 13:10

I have the exact same problem

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2011, 18:33
Avid Employee

Have thanks: 116 times
Bboy - I know I asked you about this in the other thread, but could you post the information here instead.
ie: Can you post your OS, CPU type and speed and any hardware you're using with Torq.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce this in our labs, so we'll need some additional info to nail this one down. Sorry you're running into this, and I hope to work with you guys to get this resolved as soon as possible.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2011, 18:56
Moderator (Non-Employee)

Have thanks: 290 times
I get this, but I noticed something that may be significant.
(Win7 x64, admin user but with UAC enabled, Torq 2.0.0.13994; C2D 2.4; 2GB RAM; standalone/directsound)

Try the following...
1) After clean install of Torq (ie use uninstaller beforehand and then make sure "program files\avid" folder as well as "virtualstore\program files\avid" folder were removed, before installing 2.0 final from fresh), run Torq and press metronome (= crashes for me, within ~5 seconds)
2) Force exit the remaining Torq process
3) Go to the metronome directory inside the Torq application folder (ie C:\Program Files (x86)\Avid\Torq 2\MetronomeSamples\) and see if there is a TQD there (= no TQD for me).
3) Run Torq using right click run as administrator, press OK on the UAC thing, try metronome (= works fine me)
4) Exit Torq
5) Now check the MetronomeSamples folder again and see if the TQD is there (= yes there is now a TQD, for me).
6) Run Torq again, but this time normally - ie not right click run as admin (= works fine for me)
7) Exit Torq and then delete the TQD from the MetronomeSamples folder
8.) Run Torq again, try metronome (= crashes for me)

Conclusion:
Torq is trying to write files to the program files folder, when it doesn't have admin permissions. UAC is blocking this (correctly so, since apps shouldn't be doing this) - and Torq doesn't know how to handle the situation and so crashes. Once the TQD already exists, Torq reads it fine and doesn't crash.

Workaround for people in the meantime:
Run torq once using right click run as admin then turn on the metronome (to make Torq create the TQD) - for every subsequent launch, Torq will work fine, no admin needed.

Solutions for Avid:
Move files that need to be user created into appdata (program files isn't for app data!), or else ship Torq with not just the WAV, but the TQD as well, so it's already created.

I don't work for Avid, so please don't PM me for support.
Before you post, please read getting started with Torq 2.0, the Torq 2.0 FAQ and also make sure you follow the issue reporting format.

For this message the author Ed has received thanks: 2 djtunji, J-Kut
Rating:15.38%
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2011, 20:18
Avid Employee

Ed wrote:
Workaround for people in the meantime:
Run torq once using right click run as admin then turn on the metronome (to make Torq create the TQD) - for every subsequent launch, Torq will work fine, no admin needed.

Ed, you're the man. And I'm going to sticky this as it seems you've nailed the workaround.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 13:18

Have thanks: 10 times
Torq 2.0.1 Update Now Available
Free update enhances stability and improves workflow

We’re pleased to announce the availability of Torq 2.0.1 software, which brings stability enhancements and workflow improvements to the ultimate creative DJ platform. For more details, visit the Torq FAQ page.

To download Torq 2.0.1, log into your Avid account and go to the “Your Products” page. At the bottom in the Downloads section will be links to download Torq 2.0.1.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 13:36
Avid Employee

Moving to the fixed in 2.0.1 area, as this is no longer an issue.

Search for:

Jump to: